99. Section 8

Section 8 is also called the housing choice program. Very poor families, the elderly, and disabled can get up to about 2,000 dollars a to help pay rent in single-family homes and . Families who qualify do not get a completely ride though. In order to qualify, you must able to pay about 30 percent of the yourself. The rest of the rent is paid by the government to a landlord. Not all accept Section 8. If you qualify for Section , it is your responsibility to find a landlord accepts the program.

Eligibility for the program depends your annual income and how many people are your family. To qualify you have to be U.S. citizen or a legal resident of the .S. If you are undocumented or have a tourist , you cannot apply for this program. Like with public housing programs, you will have to fill an application to see if you qualify. On application you will have to say how much you make, how much money you have in bank, and how many people are in your . You will have to give proof of how you make. The government will ask to speak your boss, see your bank statements and proof you pay taxes.

If you qualify, you will be put on a waiting list. Section 8, other public housing programs has many people applying them. You could be waiting many years before actually get a voucher, which is like a that says how much rent the government is to pay for you. If a landlord accepts and your Section 8 voucher, you still have sign a lease, or rental contract.